Tuesday 12 May 2009

Secrets and Lies


Dir: Mike Leigh
Starring: Timothy Spall

Mike Leigh - you always hear things like 'stark reality', 'tragic realism', and 'gritty' in connection with that name. The first of Leigh's films seen by Narry B were Nuts In May, and Abigail's Party. In NB's mind, things like 'ruddy hilarious', 'twisted but funny', and 'thigh-slapping laughy' are brought to mind when speaking of Mike Leigh.

I wasn't sure if Secrets and Lies would match up to his other films - was it just going to be twisted, and not funny? Certainly, there's enough emotional overcharge in this film to power a city for three months, but thankfully it is also comedy genius. I think.

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh or not. Either way, I did, and I laughed hard. Normally it was at something stupid - Paul's facial expressions while everyone else was breaking down, Cynthia's endless faux pas, or the overwrought tension of the situation.

Mike Leigh's still got it. Long may he keep it.

Top Work!

No comments:

Post a Comment